Pages

2.08.2015

Enjoying the Little Things


When I first started this blog eight years ago it was a place to capture the little unknown blessings of the day to day. I believe in God – in fact I know He lives and loves me and blesses me constantly. Sometimes we loose focus on those little blessings and forget to look for them especially with all the nonsense that faces us on a daily basis. How many hours do I spend mindlessly watching the television? How many hours of my day am I clicking refresh on facebook only to see that nothing has changed or it’s just more of the depressing political arguments clogging my feed? How many times a day do I open instagram to see things that really don’t matter to me from people I don’t even know but I follow them anyway because their life seems so much more glamorous and better than mine? By spending all those hours looking through my life, around my life, and at anything but my life I miss out on so much. Too much.
I’ve been thinking this week what can I do to more fully see my life? What can I do to notice more of the little blessings I sat out eight years ago to find? I think the answer only comes in removing some of these items from my day to day habits. Not completely but I don’t need them staring at me in my face all day long – all the time. Other peoples lives shouldn’t be the first thing I think about when I wake up nor the last thing I think about before I go to bed at night. It’s hard to count your blessings or thank your Father in Heaven for the things He has given you throughout the day if you don’t notice them. One of my friends posted this quote yesterday:
quote
Then she said, “Take action! Are you doing what you know is right? Is there something small and simple you can add or change to enrich your life?” This really hit me – especially the small & simple. There are so many small and simple things I could remove from my life! So many. Like I said before this year, for me, is just trying to live the best I can each day. Some days I struggle. Some days I have to fight. Some days are wonderful. I know I would see more wonderful days if I focused more on what should be the focus in my life. Me and my family. This month I really want to try – less social media, less television, more reading, more scripture study, more life (whatever that means), and more living while doing less mindless actions for the day.
Facebook only at certain times of the day not every time I see a computer in my view or have my phone in my hand. Instagram lunch break or if I want to post something. I also will be removing all the people I don’t get anything of value from following. Television I’ve actually done really good in this area – especially after getting my grandmothers piano – I’d rather play than watch TV – so really I usually watch Jeopardy every day along with one other show and that’s about it. Which for me is a HUGE change.
I know changing habits won’t be easy – in fact it will probably be quite difficult to do – but I’m willing to try it. I want to reprioritize my life to the things that matter – because really finding what matters to you in your life relieves so much un-needed and un-wanted pressure and stress or at least I’m hoping that will be what occurs! So like the gold inkling that came with my planner for this year…
0019Little Things

1 comment:

  1. Such a well thought out change. I too am only accessing FB from my computer,not makes it less accessible. I only have three months with Mckenna until she graduates and I move to Cali. I'm not about to lose time with her by wasting my time reading others posts or "likes" (which is what it seems to be now, mostly some shared article or video or as you said political thing) when I can play with my sweet girl.

    So here's to us changing our habits and living life to the fullest!! You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete